While I had been lazy in 2011, Monica has been busy Running her Dinner Club, appearing on Television and even publishing new recipes. Of course as I returned to creative cooking and eating, I was delighted to find a powerful vegan dish, Jeera Aloo or cumin potatoes and decided to adapt it to my coffeepot.
I like my food spicy and this boiled potato has eight different spices and I decided to leave out the salt. That was a poor but correctable decision as I added the salt prior to eating at the table and it perked up all the other flavors. But then, I really should have know better than trying to second guess Monica of the Spice Diary. The next time I cook this meal, I will add a piece of scotch bonnet pepper as I like the traditional Caribbean hot pepper flavor and know it will merge very well with the rest of the flavors.
Jeera Aloo (Cumin Potatoes) – Coffeepot Style
1 large or two small potatoes – I used red and didn’t bother pealing them.
1/2 tsp salt or according taste
½ tsp paprika powder
1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 smallonion, thinly sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida (optional)
1 T dried coriander, chopped
1. Put cubed bite-sized potato and a ½ tsp of salt in the coffeepot and pass water through the unit to cover the potatoes.
2. After unit is done perking, cover the pot with foil and cook until tender. (1-2 hours, test with a fork.)
3. Drain and set cooked potatoes aside.
4. Add salt, paprika, mango powder and garam masala in a plastic bag and mix well.
5. Put cooked potatoes in bag and shake until evenly coated .
6. Heat oil in coffeepot.
7. Add cumin, mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves. When they begin to sizzle, add the onions and 2T water. Cook covered until onions glaze over.
8. Stir well and add the potatoes.
9. Mix the potatoes and add the coriander.
10. Warm for about 1 hour.
I skipped meat for the day and had the potatoes and a Tomato and Arugula Salad which is all I needed to feel full and get a good night’s sleep.