Over the past few months, I have stumbled on some very good cooks who are actively blogging their secrets. It seems about a year ago, the bloggers I was following grew tired and posted fewer recipes to stimulate my creative juices and so I also dropped out. Since I reached my weight goals, I have started to get sloppy with my cooking and eating habits and lack the discipline of cooking smaller portions in my coffeepot. I find that once you have the grill heated up, it’s just as easy to BBQ a whole rack of ribs as it is to prepare only two that you really need for dinner. Besides leftover ribs are a treat.
So now that I have been officially bad for a few months, I am glad that there are new creative cooks to provide me with the stimulation I need to cook portion controlled meals even if I have to translate from metric to English measures and don’t always make the exact meal. Over at Daily Dose of Fresh, the author presented Egg Muffins for Breakfast and makes suggestions for doing it your way with the ingredients you have or like.
Now that was too much of a challenge to pass up so of course I used Adobo as the seasoning and covered the muffin with salsa for a little Caribbean Flair. For additional flavor there was the arugula, onion and sharp cheddar cheese. I might have called these fluffy light muffins a souffle but with either name, they were delicious. The only secret to cooking them in the coffeepot is to use those silicone cupcake holders filled within a ¼ inch of the top and to put a little water in the bottom of the pot to steam the muffins quicker.
Oh yeah, I made them for a light dinner as I am trying to regain portion controlled meals and dump the unhealthy snacking. At 178 pounds, I am about six pounds heavier than I want to be but still down 87 pounds from my high.
Egg Muffin or Egg Souffle – Coffeepot Style
Ingredients – 4 Muffins:
1 small onion minced
hand full of chopped arugula
½ tsp Adobo
¼ tsp of freshly ground black pepper
3 oz Sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
2 oz water
Serve with Salsa
- Pull arugula or spinach from stems and shred or cut into small pieces. Place in bowl.
- Mince the onions and add to bowl.
- Shred the cheese into the bowl.
- Toss with a fork until uniform.
- Add eggs to the bowl, break yoke and mix into the cheese and vegetables.
- Fill 3 silicone cups with mixture about ¼ inch from top.
- Put 2 oz of water into coffeepot (this will increase heat transfer and prevent any spillage from sticking to the bottom
- Carefully place silicone cups with egg mixture into coffeepot.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Separate muffins from walls of silicone cup with a fork. Turn over and remove silicone cup.
- Serve with salsa.
Unlike all those fallen souffle jokes on television, mine were fluffy and light but never really rose to overflow the cup.